Saturday, February 21, 2009

Something about cutting down flowers but not being able to stop the spring

Life is very bizarre as of late, but I will go into that more at a later time.

I just read Jade's LJ and found this thing that she grabbed from Facebook and figured to post it to keep the 3 people who actually read this occupied until I actually grace you all with a real post.

...................................................................................................................................

Think of 15 albums, CDs, LPs (if you're over 40) that had such a profound effect on you they changed your life. Dug into your soul. Music that brought you to life when you heard it. Royally affected you, kicked you in the wazoo, literally socked you in the gut, is what I mean. Then when you finish, tag 15 others, including moi. Make sure you copy and paste this part so they know the drill. Get the idea now? Good. Tag, you're it.

Thursday - Full Collapse
No record has changed my life as much as this one did. The first time I heard Understanding in a Car Crash I was working at a shitty chain record store in a mall and this song was on a comp that we got but never played. I threw it in just for kicks and when this song came on I felt as if my insides were vibrating. It was a great day.

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
I stole this cassette from my dad and played it on my Sesame Street boom box, seriously. It fucking changed EVERYTHING.

Ramones - Mania
I heard this when I was like 12 and it made me want a leather jacket really bad.

Fugazi - 13 Songs/Repeater
I received a mix tape from an older cousin that had Repeater and Waiting Room on it and I immediately headed to Camelot Music to purchase these records. At this time I thought that Smashing Pumpkins and Soundgarden were cutting edge... yeah...

Wu Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
Do I really need to say anything abut this record? It's amazing, period.

Aphrodite - Urban Jungle
I stole this cassette from Blockbuster Music. At this point in my life I was getting into electronic music pretty heavily but this mixtape changed everything I had thought of mixetapes. It was a combination of jungle beats and grimey hip hop acapellas, it is still amazing.

Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends
To quote Jade "fuck you if you dont love this album. you are not my friend and i do not want to talk to you."

Circa Survive - Juturna
I heard this record at a time when all I thought I wanted was blood curdling screams and chugging guitars that made me want to punch myself in the face. I was so wrong. Anthony Green is one of my favorite vocalists of all time. He can hit the most unaturally high notes and that in combination with some of the best drumming in "modern alternative rock" makes for a wild ride of a record. This record still makes me well up with tears at points.

Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
I had given up on hiphop until I heard this record. Mos Def has one of the best voices in the game and his storytelling is hard top.

Vice - Run The Road
A comp cd should not be on this list, but this record changed my adult life. Hip hop/Rap had been long dead when I heard this. This record furthered my desire to have a british accent and the word grime will never be the same for me because of this record. U.S. MC's couldn't even dream of making tracks half this hood, shit is serious.

At The Drive-In - Relationship of Command
Don't think that because this record is towards the bottom of my list that it makes it less important. I'm from El Paso and I never saw this band live, I suck at life, but seriously bands are still trying to make this record now and failing miserably.

I'm stopping there. This is way too hard of a list to finish but I will list off some honorable mentions at this point

Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire
Van Halen - 1984
Bush - Sixteen Stone
Rise Against - Revolutions Per Minute
The Fall of Troy - Doppleganger
and so on and so forth

No comments: